Permanent – Part-time (21 hours per/week)
Does taking meaningful action inspire you? Are you looking for an opportunity to make an impact in the daily life of a child? Are you passionate about creating social change, engaging with and having an impact on your community? Are you looking to take ownership of your career in an organization that values people, action and trust? Brown Bagging for Calgary’s Kids (BB4CK) has an opportunity for a dynamic individual to join our dedicated team!
Who we are: Brown Bagging for Calgary’s Kids (BB4CK) is a mission-focused grassroots organization, working to build and strengthen communities that ensure every child has enough to eat at school. Our team is small, working together in our areas of strength to ensure we can have broad impact in our community.
Brown Bagging for Calgary’s Kids has increased the number of hungry kids fed daily through its programs by almost 70% since 2015. To accomplish this increased impact, BB4CK has broadened its program delivery through community partnerships and a focus on encouraging and supporting people in Calgary to act in meaningful ways to feed kids. Today, BB4CK continues to grow and transition in order to achieve our goal of no hungry kids. This is an exciting and challenging time in our organizational life, as we continue to meet the growing need in our community, while also focusing our efforts on strengthening our systems and processes to support our growing organization.
Our vision: Communities that make sure all kids are fed.
Our mission: Connect and inspire people to take meaningful action to feed and care for kids.
The Communications Coordinator: The successful candidate will create compelling content that tells engaging stories, communicates our approach, and educates supporters, partners, and the general public on how they can help feed and care for Calgary’s kids. They will support the implementation of communication and marketing activities internally and externally. This role will grow the capacity of our communications and marketing efforts.
The role of the Communications Coordinator will be responsible for the following:
- Be responsible for own health and wellness, personally and professionally, and take ownership to ensure you are able to perform this role as needed
- Contribute wholeheartedly to BB4CK’s vision and mission
- Working effectively on tasks assigned within the context of BB4CK values and culture
- Write strong copy that engages our audiences for various channels (e.g., website, social media, media releases, newsletters, annual reports, etc.)
- Support the development and implementation of marketing plan and activities
- Create various communications and marketing materials for various audiences (internal and external)
- Support departments with various internal/external communication, marketing, and promotional needs
- Provide general communications and marketing support
- Create graphics in Canva that tell our story
- Take pictures and videos when needed
- Be the face of the organization on social media, appear on video, and engage in a conversation with our online community
- Archive and organize communications materials in physical and digital forms
Other Knowledge and Skills:
- Willingness to manage multiple projects simultaneously, coordinating groups of content providers, and deal with changing priorities
- Strong editing and proofreading skills
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (1 year)
- A Canva fan!
- Love for content creation and ideas
- Strong creative and communications skills (Writing, video editing, photo, and graphic design)
- Interest in social media insights and passion to create content with your audience in mind
- Ability to multitask and adapt quickly to new situations
- Have a video-first mentality
- Be a storyteller
Education and Experience:
- Degree or Diploma in Marketing or Communications would be considered an asset
- 1-3 years’ experience working with a team
- 1+ years’ experience in communications or marketing
- A broad view of the social impact sector in Calgary and beyond
- Experience and an interest in child development, food security and social supports.
This opportunity might be for you if you:
- Are a dynamic and engaging communicator, demonstrating our core values to positively influence others; confident in a role that involves leading “up” and leading “out”
- You are a visionary: have the ability to advocate for results that are in the best interest of the community, and identify organizational changes that are needed to achieve these best results
- Able to collaboratively lead, solve problems, make decisions, and manage change
- Find joy in building relationships and engaging people to make a difference
- Are flexible and adaptable to changing situations
BB4CK offers a competitive compensation package along with professional development opportunities for innovation and professional growth. Annual salary (based on 21 hrs. per/wk) between $26,000. and $29,000, commensurate with experience.
If you are looking for a purpose driven and compelling place to work, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. We thank all applicants for their interest in BB4CK, however only those under consideration will be contacted.