Does taking meaningful action inspire you? Are you looking for an opportunity to make an impact in the daily life of a child? Are you passionate about creating social change, engaging with and having an impact on your community? Are you looking to take ownership of your career in an organization that values people, action and trust? Brown Bagging for Calgary’s Kids (BB4CK) has an opportunity for a dynamic individual to join our dedicated team!
Who we are: Brown Bagging for Calgary’s Kids (BB4CK) is a mission-focused grassroots organization, working to build and strengthen communities that ensure every child has enough to eat at school. Our team is small, working together in our areas of strength to ensure we can have broad impact in our community.
Brown Bagging for Calgary’s Kids has increased the number of hungry kids fed daily through its programs by almost 70% since 2015. To accomplish this increased impact, BB4CK has broadened its program delivery through community partnerships and a focus on encouraging and supporting people in Calgary to act in meaningful ways to feed kids. Today, BB4CK continues to grow and transition in order to achieve our goal of no hungry kids. This is an exciting and challenging time in our organizational life, as we continue to meet the growing need in our community, while also focusing our efforts on strengthening our systems and processes to support our growing organization.
Our vision: Communities that make sure all kids are fed.
Our mission: Connect and inspire people to take meaningful action to feed and care for kids.
Our BB4CK kitchen continues to grow to ensure all kids are fed in our community. While our numbers vary, it’s not uncommon four our kitchen to prepare and deliver 2 000 lunches on a school day.
The Kitchen Assistant will work collaboratively with our programs team, and the Director of Programs, to support the kitchen team’s growing processes and new volunteers.
Hours of Work:
6:30 am – 12:30 pm, Monday through Thursday
This is a contract position through December 31, 2019
The role of Kitchen Assistant will include the following key responsibilities:
- Be responsible for own health and wellness, personally and professionally, and take ownership to ensure you are able to perform this role as needed
- Contribute wholeheartedly to BB4CK’s vision and mission
- Working effectively on tasks assigned within the context of BB4CK values and culture
- Support the Kitchen Coordinator and Logistics Coordinator in their daily operations
- Welcome, onboard, and train new regular volunteers in partnership with the Volunteer Connector
- Support with the preparation of lunches including acting as a kitchen “float” support for volunteer groups (bringing supplies to tables, answering questions, supervising sandwich tables or supporting a baking group)
- Ensuring health and safety of the kitchen: directing volunteers on cleaning, and supporting with cleaning of the kitchen
- Supporting with the packing of lunch bins, and moving bins from our kitchen to our delivery drivers
- Receive delivery orders, make note of stock changes and needs for upcoming orders
This opportunity might be for you if you:
- Are passionate about BB4CK’s mission, and want to engage others in feeding kids
- Are a dynamic and engaging leader that finds joy in building relationships and serving
- You’re flexible and energized by a dynamic and changing work environment
- Experience in food preparation and/or volunteer engagement
- “Can do” attitude, and collaborative work approach
- Ability to work in a physical environment (the kitchen assistant will be on their feet most days, and lifting bins of 25 – 50 lbs)
BB4CK offers a competitive compensation package along with professional development opportunities for innovation and professional growth. Salary will be commensurate with level of experience.
If you are looking for a purpose driven and compelling place to work, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. We thank all applicants for their interest in BB4CK, however only those under consideration will be contacted.